The Sorley MacLean Trust (Urras Shomhairle) was set up to perpetuate the memory of Sorley MacLean – who is widely regarded as one of Scotland’s most influential literary figures and a poet of world stature – and to promote his work, and the Gaelic language. Its aims are:
- to promote all aspects of Gaelic culture;
- to promote the study, appreciation and use of the Gaelic language;
- to commission and make available, through information technology, oral and written Gaelic material of the highest quality;
- to encourage young poets and writers to continue the Gaelic Renaissance which Sorley MacLean inspired;
- to do such other things, charitable in law, as the Trustees may think appropriate to perpetuate the memory of Sorley MacLean.